- "The way we recycle electronics takes protecting our environment to the next level. A massive amount of energy is saved when recycling metals, plastics and glass, and new jobs are created. A triple bottom line is created. And everyone wins."
- "The importance of digital security cannot be overstated. That’s why we developed the world’s most efficient shredding technology for the destruction and recycling of e-waste."
- "Electronic waste is the fastest growing waste stream in the world today and there is no end in sight as we are about to see an explosion of new segments in electronics such as wearables (watches, glasses, and clothing), personal drones and robots. These items, as with all consumer electronics, MUST be recycled responsibly."
- "In a space where nobody was recycling electronics the right way, we were able to develop a new paradigm that we wanted to create and scale. At Electronic Recyclers International we approach our mission as a growing team of creative innovators who relentlessly thrive on developing collaborative solutions for our customers. "
- "Sustainability is a journey. There is no perfect beginning - and no end. It is ever evolving and we can change the world for the better, if we work together."
- "Our DNA and corporate culture is to always put the customer first, listen to them and respond to their needs. The more we practice that mission the more they reward us with their loyalty and increased business."
July 16, 2015
e-cycleNYC Serves 1 Million People
e-cycleNYC, a program between the City of New York and Electronic Recyclers to recycle e-waste, now serves over 1 million people.
June 1, 2015
John Launches RecycleNation
In 2015, John re-branded ERI’s subsidiary digital brand, 1-800-Recycling, into RecycleNation.
December 25, 2014
ERI Continues To Grow
Last month, ERI recycled nearly 25 million pounds of e-waste – staggering growth from the 10,000 pounds per month when ERI launched in April 2005.
December 31, 2011
Electronic Recyclers International’s Indiana Facility Debuts Its Shredder
ERI debuts a state-of-the-art electronics shredder at its Plainfield, Indiana recycling facility.
March 2, 2011
Alcoa Takes Ownership Stake In Electronic Recyclers International
Alcoa, the world’s leading aluminum producer, became a minority investor in ERI, the largest U.S. recycler of electronic waste.
December 31, 2010
Electronic Recyclers International Unveils Electronics Shredder At Its Holliston, MA Facility
In 2010, ERI debuted its first shredder on the East Coast at its recycling facility in Holliston, MA.
December 31, 2009
In 2009, John founded ERI’s second subsidiary digital brand, UrbanMining.org. The site offers an ever-growing collection of news articles and original content about the urban mining process, wherein compounds and elements are reclaimed from products, buildings and waste. The site launched in May 2010.
December 17, 2009
LS-Nikko Copper Invests In Electronic Recyclers International
One of the world’s largest copper smelters, Seoul-based LS-Nikko, obtains a minority investment in ERI.
December 31, 2008
John Launches 1800Recycling.com
In 2008, John founded ERI’s subsidiary digital brand, 1-800-Recycling, a dynamic recycling and green living-focused website that makes recycling, conserving, reusing and living wisely easy.
December 17, 2008
Electronic Recyclers International Debuts Fresno, CA Mega-Shredder
In 2008, ERI debuted the largest and most efficient electronics shredder in North America.
December 10, 2008
John Wins The Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Award
John Shegerian wins the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award for his work at Electronic Recyclers International.
December 31, 2007
John Starts Green Is Good Radio
John founded the award-winning “Green Is Good” radio program in 2007. What started as a regional FM radio show, with former co-host Mike Brady, has now become the nation’s #1 ranked environmentally themed radio show.
December 31, 2004
John Co-Founds Electronic Recyclers International
In 2004, John took over a struggling electronic recycling business, then based out of San Diego, moved it to Fresno, CA and re-branded it Electronic Recyclers International.
October 1, 2004
FinancialAid.com Sold To CIT
In October 2004, Shegerian and his partners sold FinancialAid.com and all the aforementioned affiliated properties to Education Lending Group.
December 31, 1998
John Co-Founds FinancialAid.com
They followed up that success with CampusDirt.com, CampusClix.com and RateYourCampus.com. The sites were sold to CIT in 2004.
December 31, 1997
John Co-Founds Bulldog Brewing Company
Bulldog became a popular bar and grill near the campus of Fresno State University. The company became famous for its Bulldog Root Beer.
January 1, 1994
Bradbury Building Filming
With John as the project manager of the building, Michael J. Fox and other celebrities filmed various pictures at the Bradbury Building.
December 31, 1993
Bradbury Building Reopens
John, while working at The Yellin Group, worked to renovate and reopen the Bradbury Building in Los Angeles in 1993.
December 9, 1992
Tyler Shegerian Born
Tyler would go on to study at Fordham University in New York, and with plans to study law in the future, Tyler served as a Field Organizer in New York City for President Obama’s successful 2012 Presidential Campaign.
October 5, 1992
Grand Central Market Project
While working at The Yellin Group, John helped revitalize Los Angeles’ iconic open-air Grand Central Market.
June 1, 1992
John Co-Founds Homeboy Tortillas
John co-founds Homeboy Tortillas in inner-city Los Angeles while still working at The Yellin Group. One of Homeboy’s chief goals was to give those involved in gangs and those incarcerated a second chance to work and get on the right life path.
December 31, 1991
Rebuild LA Project
John was involved in the Rebuild LA project, a program promising $6 billion in private investments to help create 74,000 jobs.
December 31, 1991
John Named Senior Vice President Of The Yellin Group
John becomes the Senior Vice President of the Los Angeles-based real estate firm, The Yellin Group.
October 1, 1986
Cortney Shegerian Born
Cortney would later go on to graduate from law school and work at Shegerian & Associates, an employment law firm founded by John’s brother, Carney Shegerian.
October 25, 1985
John and Tammy Wed
John and Tammy are married on October 25, 1985.
May 31, 1984
John Graduates From NYU
In the Spring of 1984, John graduated cum laude from New York University (New York, NY) with a Bachelor of Science in Political Science.
December 31, 1979
John Breaks The World Record For Fastest 5/8-Mile Dash
At just 17 years old, John became the youngest harness racer to hold the world record for the fastest 5/8-mile dash. The win was recorded at Liberty Bell Park Racetrack in Douglassville, PA.
June 25, 1979
Playing Monopoly, Only With Real Money
In 1979, John’s father, John Shegerian Sr., purchased the most expensive colt ever for its time.
December 31, 1977
John Wins His First Horse Race
At 15 years old, John wins his first harness race as the youngest driver in America.