Aside from regular appearances as a commentator for newspapers, magazines, television and radio, many organizations and conferences have invited Shegerian to speak.
Among the groups Shegerian has been invited to speak to, usually sharing information about green business practices or how to be a “conscious capitalist,” include presentations before the World Bank, United Nations and The White House.
Other speaking engagements where Shegerian has been featured include:
- Alleviating Poverty Through Entrepreneurship Summit
- Alliance Toward Harnessing Global Opportunities Conference (ATHGO)
- American Metal Market Events’ Recycled Aluminum Conference
- Best Buy e-Waste Summit
- Business of Green Conference (UCLA)
- California Association for Local Economic Development
- California Black Chamber of Commerce
- California Resource Recovery Association (Opal Financial Group)
- Canaccord Adams Annual Global Growth Conference
- Chartwell Waste Industry Summit
- Clean Technology Conference (Think Equity Partners)
- Coalition for Clean Air
- Collegiate Entrepreneurs Association
- Commit Forum on Innovative Partnerships
- Delta Sigma Pi
- Earth Fest
- Earth Matters Conference (NYU)
- EI Digest’s Annual Gathering
- Energy Efficient IT & the Bottom Line (Ziff-Davis)
- Envirobiz Special & Universal Waste Management Summit
- Environmental Forum: HazWaste 2008 (SMH Capital)
- E-Scrap Conference
- Fisher College of Business at Ohio State University
- Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Trade Mission: Canada
- Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Trade Mission: China
- Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Trade Mission: Mexico
- Green Innovation Venture Capital Summit
- GreenXchange Global Marketplace Conference
- Growing Local Economies Conference (CALED)
- Houlihan Lokey’s Annual Global Industrials Conference
- International Global Third Way: Becoming One With the Environment Conference (United Nations Headquarters)
- JMP Securities Research Conference
- Leigh Steinberg’s Green Super Bowl Party
- Milken Institute Global Conference
- Milken Institute “State of the State” Conference
- National Summit on Entrepreneurship (Association for Enterprise Opportunity)
- Needham Growth Conference
- Ready, Set, Recycle Investor Conference (Cannacord Adams)
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Unity Committee
- SBI E2 Capital Securities Conference in Hong Kong
- Southeast Recycling Conference
- Sustainable Brands Conference – International
- Sustainable Brands Conference – USA
- Sustainable Materials Management Conference
- Swing For the Green (Toshiba)
- Think Green Summit (Think Equity Partners)
- Tulare County Economic Development Corporation
- White House Business Council Roundtable
- World Scrap Metal Conference
For his work with ERI, Shegerian has been named the Clean Tech Entrepreneur of the Year for Northern Califronia by Ernst & Young. He received the “Innovator of the Year” award from the International Electronics Recycling Conference & Expo (ERCE) for his development of 1800RECYCLING.com and its role in democratizing the recycling process nationwide.
Shegerian was also named the 2012 recipient of the Harold Zinkin Entrepreneur of the Year Award commemorating a proven track record of leading a business through several years of success. In 2012, John and ERI were both inducted into the International Green Business Hall of Fame. ERI has also won “Recycler of the Year” and the “Industry Pioneer” award from the IERCE.
Shegerian is driven by his commitment to innovate and develop companies that benefit and inspire others and are socially responsible. He has a 25 year track record of quickly converting start-ups into large, highly successful business enterprises.
Over the years, Shegerian has also assisted many of the State’s top legislators with guidance pertaining to policies geared toward the reduction of gang and youth violence.
No stranger to “recycling lives” and serving up second chances
No stranger to “recycling lives” and serving up second chances, in 1993. Shegerian had co-founded Homeboy Tortillas and Homeboy Industries, which continues to serve as a paradigm for urban renewal in America and was awarded the New York Stock Exchange “Building for the Future” Award for creating new jobs and opportunities for gang-impacted youth in post-riot Los Angeles.
Shegerian is also the recipient of the prestigious “Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Award,” presented by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Unity Committee to businessmen working to provide compassionate solutions for society’s problems.